Deshmukh violated poll code: BJYM
Mumbai: Besides castigation by the apex court
for showing favouritism in land allotment to a filmmaker and reported indictment by CAG for irregularities in land allotment to a trust owned by him, Union Science and
Technology Minister, Vilasrao Deshmukh now finds himself facing another charge - that of violating model poll code.
BJP`s youth wing, the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, has
lodged a complaint with district authorities in Latur that
Deshmukh violated the model code of conduct for the municipal
corporation elections by using the premises of a temple for
A BJYM delegation led by its state unit executive member
Babu Khandade met Latur collector Dr Vipin Sharma, seeking
action against Deshmukh for breaching the poll code.
"As per Election Commission norms, a religious place
cannot be used for election work but that is what Deshmukh did
on April 2 when he launched the Congress campaign for the
civic elections at the Siddheshwar temple premises," Khandade said.
The Latur municipal corporation election is scheduled
on April 15.
"We had no objection to Deshmukh breaking the coconut
at the temple but he also addressed an election rally in the
premises," Khandade said.
The BJYM team also apprised the collector, who is also
the returning officer, of print and TV media coverage of the
poll campaign launch.
"In footage shown by a Marathi TV channel, Deshmukh is
clearly seen making a political speech at a pandal erected in
the temple premises," Khandade said.
Latur Congress leader Samad Patel had issued press
releases and published advertisements in newspapers, asking
Congress candidates to attend the "launch of the poll
campaign", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs