Deshmukh violated poll code: BJYM
Mumbai: Besides castigation by the apex court
for showing favouritism in land allotment to a filmmaker and reported indictment by CAG for irregularities in land allotment to a trust owned by him, Union Science and
Technology Minister, Vilasrao Deshmukh now finds himself facing another charge - that of violating model poll code.
BJP`s youth wing, the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, has
lodged a complaint with district authorities in Latur that
Deshmukh violated the model code of conduct for the municipal
corporation elections by using the premises of a temple for
A BJYM delegation led by its state unit executive member
Babu Khandade met Latur collector Dr Vipin Sharma, seeking
action against Deshmukh for breaching the poll code.
"As per Election Commission norms, a religious place
cannot be used for election work but that is what Deshmukh did
on April 2 when he launched the Congress campaign for the
civic elections at the Siddheshwar temple premises," Khandade said.
The Latur municipal corporation election is scheduled
on April 15.
"We had no objection to Deshmukh breaking the coconut
at the temple but he also addressed an election rally in the
premises," Khandade said.
The BJYM team also apprised the collector, who is also
the returning officer, of print and TV media coverage of the
poll campaign launch.
"In footage shown by a Marathi TV channel, Deshmukh is
clearly seen making a political speech at a pandal erected in
the temple premises," Khandade said.
Latur Congress leader Samad Patel had issued press
releases and published advertisements in newspapers, asking
Congress candidates to attend the "launch of the poll
campaign", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire