Deshmukh won’t react to leaked CAG report
New Delhi: Union Science and Technology Minister and former Maharashtra chief minister Vilasrao Deshmukh on Thursday said that he would react to the Comptroller and Auditor General’s (CAG) indictment of him in connection with several alleged land scams after the CAG report is tabled in the Maharashtra State Assembly.
"I will react after the CAG report is tabled. I am certain my name will be cleared," a television channel quoted him, as saying.
In the CAG report, Deshmukh has been accused of giving preferential allotment of a plot in Mumbai to a trust founded by him and holding on to it for four years in breach of conditions.
The 23,840 square meter plot in suburban Borivali was allotted to the Manjara Charitable Trust by the government on September 28, 2005, when Deshmukh was chief minister, for opening a dental college at an occupancy price of Rs 6.56 crore.
Apart from Deshmukh, state cabinet ministers Narayan Rane, Chhagan Bhujbal, Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil and Patangrao Kadam have also been accused of being involved in the land scam.
Deshmukh has also been accused of giving land at a cheap price to filmmaker Subhash Ghai for building a film training institute called Whistling Woods.
With the Supreme Court ordering a return of most of the land to the custody of the Maharashtra Government and pulling up Deshmukh for sanctioning the project in the first place, the latter has said that he will be appealing against the court`s remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof