Deshmukh`s ashes to be immersed on August 30
Mumbai: Ashes of late union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh will be taken across the state to enable Congress workers to pay their respects before being immersed on August 30, Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee president Manikrao Thakre said on Monday.
Deshmukh (67) died of a serious liver ailment at a Chennai Hospital on August 14.
The ashes will be brought to Mumbai on August 27 and a joint meeting comprising the state executive, district presidents, ministers and state office-bearers will be held where a condolence resolution will be passed, he said.
"The urns containing the late leader`s ashes will be handed over to 63 district unit chiefs who will carry them to their respective districts. The urns will be kept at the district party offices on August 30 and immersed in nearby waters after performing rituals on the same day," Thakre told reporters.
In Mumbai, the urn will be kept at the Azad Maidan office of MPCC on August 30 and immersed at Banganga water tank in Walkeshwar of South Mumbai.
Meanwhile, replying to queries on the August 11 violence at a protest rally in South Mumbai, Thakre said the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) and Shiv Sena are indulging in "politics of hate" over the issue.
Rejecting the demand for Home Minister RR Patil`s resignation as sought by MNS, Thakre said the Opposition should come up with "constructive" suggestions to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
"The state Congress has already given a letter to the government asking for strict action against perpetrators of violence and ensuring that such things do not happen again," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...