Deshmukh`s ashes to be immersed on August 30
Mumbai: Ashes of late union minister Vilasrao Deshmukh will be taken across the state to enable Congress workers to pay their respects before being immersed on August 30, Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee president Manikrao Thakre said on Monday.
Deshmukh (67) died of a serious liver ailment at a Chennai Hospital on August 14.
The ashes will be brought to Mumbai on August 27 and a joint meeting comprising the state executive, district presidents, ministers and state office-bearers will be held where a condolence resolution will be passed, he said.
"The urns containing the late leader`s ashes will be handed over to 63 district unit chiefs who will carry them to their respective districts. The urns will be kept at the district party offices on August 30 and immersed in nearby waters after performing rituals on the same day," Thakre told reporters.
In Mumbai, the urn will be kept at the Azad Maidan office of MPCC on August 30 and immersed at Banganga water tank in Walkeshwar of South Mumbai.
Meanwhile, replying to queries on the August 11 violence at a protest rally in South Mumbai, Thakre said the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) and Shiv Sena are indulging in "politics of hate" over the issue.
Rejecting the demand for Home Minister RR Patil`s resignation as sought by MNS, Thakre said the Opposition should come up with "constructive" suggestions to prevent recurrence of such incidents.
"The state Congress has already given a letter to the government asking for strict action against perpetrators of violence and ensuring that such things do not happen again," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks