Destitute former Shiv Sena minister adopted by NGO
Thane: An NGO Monday rescued an ailing and destitute former Shiv Sena minister who was the party`s secular face in its government in 1995-99 and rehabilitated him in an old age home in Aurangabad.
Former Shiv Sena leader Shabbir Shaikh, (72), a two-time legislator from Ambernath and labour and minority affairs minister in the erstwhile Shiv Sena-BJP government, was taken from his small home in Kalyan to a senior citizens` home in Aurangabad.
Local NGO Kalpataru Yuva Vikas Manch (KYVM) will bear the entire cost of Shaikh`s lodging, boarding and medication at the senior citizens` home for the rest of his life.
KYVM will pay about Rs.3,000 per month for Shaikh`s stay and care in the Aurangabad home.
"When we learnt about his sad plight from a local TV report, KYVM decided to do something to enable him to spend the rest of his life with dignity," the NGO`s president Sanjay B. Tambe-Patil told IANS.
Until last year, despite his frail health, Shaikh used to visit the ailing Shiv Sena patriarch, the late Bal Thackeray, on his birthday Jan 23.
"Shaikh was forgotten by the Shiv Sena, of which he was one of the original founder-members," said Tambe-Patil.
He said that since the whereabouts of his family are not known and no one knows why he was abandoned, the SYVM decided to adopt him.
"It is presumed that when in power, ministers make a lot of money. But here is a different example. Whatever he did as a legislator or as a minister was entirely in public interest, never for self-interest," Tambe-Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday