Destitute former Shiv Sena minister adopted by NGO
Thane: An NGO Monday rescued an ailing and destitute former Shiv Sena minister who was the party`s secular face in its government in 1995-99 and rehabilitated him in an old age home in Aurangabad.
Former Shiv Sena leader Shabbir Shaikh, (72), a two-time legislator from Ambernath and labour and minority affairs minister in the erstwhile Shiv Sena-BJP government, was taken from his small home in Kalyan to a senior citizens` home in Aurangabad.
Local NGO Kalpataru Yuva Vikas Manch (KYVM) will bear the entire cost of Shaikh`s lodging, boarding and medication at the senior citizens` home for the rest of his life.
KYVM will pay about Rs.3,000 per month for Shaikh`s stay and care in the Aurangabad home.
"When we learnt about his sad plight from a local TV report, KYVM decided to do something to enable him to spend the rest of his life with dignity," the NGO`s president Sanjay B. Tambe-Patil told IANS.
Until last year, despite his frail health, Shaikh used to visit the ailing Shiv Sena patriarch, the late Bal Thackeray, on his birthday Jan 23.
"Shaikh was forgotten by the Shiv Sena, of which he was one of the original founder-members," said Tambe-Patil.
He said that since the whereabouts of his family are not known and no one knows why he was abandoned, the SYVM decided to adopt him.
"It is presumed that when in power, ministers make a lot of money. But here is a different example. Whatever he did as a legislator or as a minister was entirely in public interest, never for self-interest," Tambe-Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days