Devendra Fadnavis new BJP Maharashtra unit chief
New Delhi: Devendra Fadnavis, a young leader who has made a mark as an opposition legislator in Maharashtra, was on Thursday made the new president of BJP in the state.
BJP president Rajnath Singh made the appointment here, signalling a patch-up between party`s senior leaders Nitin Gadkari and Gopinath Munde in Maharashtra.
Though Fadnavis, 43, belongs to Nagpur, the home turf of former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, his name was pitched by Munde for quite some time. He replaces Sudhir Mungantiwar, a Gadkari confidant, who was being pitched by the former BJP president for a second term.
Rajnath Singh has said the appointment was made after a consensus among various leaders of the state. Fadnavis is seeking to contest from Nagpur Parliamentary constituency in the next general election.
Fadnavis, who represents Nagpur constituency, is a Law graduate, a Post Graduate in Business Management and a Diploma holder in Methods and Techniques of Project Management from Berlin.
He has served as an elected member on the Municipal Corporation of Nagpur for two consecutive terms in 1992 and 1997. Fadnavis became the second youngest Mayor in the country when he served as the Mayor of Nagpur. He is also the only person to be re-elected and serve as the first `Mayor in Council` of Maharashtra.
Fadnavis has also been the general secretary of the BJP in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened