Devendra Fadnavis new BJP Maharashtra unit chief
New Delhi: Devendra Fadnavis, a young leader who has made a mark as an opposition legislator in Maharashtra, was on Thursday made the new president of BJP in the state.
BJP president Rajnath Singh made the appointment here, signalling a patch-up between party`s senior leaders Nitin Gadkari and Gopinath Munde in Maharashtra.
Though Fadnavis, 43, belongs to Nagpur, the home turf of former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, his name was pitched by Munde for quite some time. He replaces Sudhir Mungantiwar, a Gadkari confidant, who was being pitched by the former BJP president for a second term.
Rajnath Singh has said the appointment was made after a consensus among various leaders of the state. Fadnavis is seeking to contest from Nagpur Parliamentary constituency in the next general election.
Fadnavis, who represents Nagpur constituency, is a Law graduate, a Post Graduate in Business Management and a Diploma holder in Methods and Techniques of Project Management from Berlin.
He has served as an elected member on the Municipal Corporation of Nagpur for two consecutive terms in 1992 and 1997. Fadnavis became the second youngest Mayor in the country when he served as the Mayor of Nagpur. He is also the only person to be re-elected and serve as the first `Mayor in Council` of Maharashtra.
Fadnavis has also been the general secretary of the BJP in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India