Devendra Fadnavis new BJP Maharashtra unit chief
New Delhi: Devendra Fadnavis, a young leader who has made a mark as an opposition legislator in Maharashtra, was on Thursday made the new president of BJP in the state.
BJP president Rajnath Singh made the appointment here, signalling a patch-up between party`s senior leaders Nitin Gadkari and Gopinath Munde in Maharashtra.
Though Fadnavis, 43, belongs to Nagpur, the home turf of former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari, his name was pitched by Munde for quite some time. He replaces Sudhir Mungantiwar, a Gadkari confidant, who was being pitched by the former BJP president for a second term.
Rajnath Singh has said the appointment was made after a consensus among various leaders of the state. Fadnavis is seeking to contest from Nagpur Parliamentary constituency in the next general election.
Fadnavis, who represents Nagpur constituency, is a Law graduate, a Post Graduate in Business Management and a Diploma holder in Methods and Techniques of Project Management from Berlin.
He has served as an elected member on the Municipal Corporation of Nagpur for two consecutive terms in 1992 and 1997. Fadnavis became the second youngest Mayor in the country when he served as the Mayor of Nagpur. He is also the only person to be re-elected and serve as the first `Mayor in Council` of Maharashtra.
Fadnavis has also been the general secretary of the BJP in Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands