Devendra Fadnavis takes oath as 27th Maharashtra CM - As it happened
Devendra Fadnavis was on Friday sworn-in as the Chief Minister of the first Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Maharashtra at a grand ceremony at Wankhede Stadium here. Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray made a last-minute appearance, raising the possibility of a rapprochement between both the parties.
Mumbai: Devendra Fadnavis was on Friday sworn-in as the Chief Minister of the first Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government in Maharashtra in a grand ceremony at Wankhede Stadium here. Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray made a last-minute appearance, raising the possibility of a rapprochement between both the parties.
Following are the live updates:
- Maharashtra CM concludes his speech.
- There will be a regular media briefing after state cabinet meetings, a practice discontinued during the tenure of Vilasrao Deshmukh as CM, says Devendra Fadnavis.
- Maharashtra CM further assures to look into the grievances of the media, particularly incidents of attack on journalists.
- It will take time to bring the administration back on the track but we will do it. We will bring Maharashtra to the number one position, says Maha CM.
- Maharashtra is facing a huge fiscal deficit: CM Devendra Fadnavis.
- There was a positive talk between Amit Shah and Uddhav Thckeray: Fadnavis.
- A lot of expectations from us, we understand the responsibility, says Maha CM Devendra Fadnavis.
- Want a more transparent and efficient system of governance: Maharashtra CM.
- Maharashtra government to enact a law on right to service for citizens announces CM Devendra Fadnavis.
- Each department will have to prepare a list for the work they are responsible for, says Fadnavis.
- I have addressed so many press conferences in the past, but today I am nervous: Maharashtra CM
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis addresses media at the Secretariat for the first time after taking oath.
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis arrives at Mantralay in Mumbai.
- Also Read: Fadnavis promises transparent government
- Uddhav Thackeray meets BJP chief Amit Shah after the oath ceremony.
- Also Read: Uddhav Thackeray meets Amit Shah after Fadnavis govt takes oath
- Shiv Sena was our natural alliance, we want them to come along, it’s upto them now: Om Mathur.
- BJP's Maharashtra Assembly poll in-charge Om Mathur says, "This ceremony showed the enthusiasm within the people of Maharashtra and BJP workers."
- A big day, a day of happiness, I extend my greetings to BJP: Madhur Bhandarkar on Maharashtra CM's oath taking ceremony.
- "Discussions are on. We would like to take Shiv Sena along," said JP Nadda, BJP general secretary in-charge of Maharashtra.
- Also Read: We will like take Shiv Sena along: Nadda
- Senior BJP leader and former general secretary of the Maharashtra unit of the party, Vinod Tawde says, "We are happy, at the same time the commitment given to ppl by us has to be fulfilled, hv to work hard now."
- All the best, daddy: Divija wishes the new CM of Maharashtra.
- Also Read: All the best, daddy: Divija wishes the new CM of Maharashtra
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar also took to Twitter to congratulate the newly appointed Maharashtra CM.
Congratulating @Dev_Fadnavis for being sworn in as Chief Minister of Maharashtra. The state is sure to prosper under his able leadership.
— Manohar Lal Khattar (@mlkhattar) October 31, 2014
- On microblogging website Twitter, Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel greets Fadnavis on becoming Maharashtra CM.
Congratulations to Shri @Dev_Fadnavis on becoming CM of Maharashtra. The state will progress to new heights under his youthful leadership.
— Anandiben Patel (@anandibenpatel) October 31, 2014
- Celebrations outside Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis's residence.
- Devendra Fadnavis greets supporters after being sworn in as Maharashtra Chief Minister.
- People greet new Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis at Wankhede Stadium.
- Oath ceremony concludes with national anthem.
- Vidya Jaiprakash Thakur takes oath as Maharahstra's Minister of State.
- Dilip Nyandev Kamble takes oath as Maharashtra Minister.
- Vishnu Savara takes oath as Maharashtra Minister.
- Pankaja Munde, daughter of late Gopinath Munde and an MLA from Parli takes oath as the Cabinet Minister, gets loud applause from public.
- Poonam Dhillon and Mugdha Godse attend Devendra Fadnavis' swearing in ceremony.
- All Sena leaders in attendance at Wankhede. Sharad Pawar, former CM Chavan present. Ratan Tata, Ambani on the list of attendees.
- Chandrakant Patil takes oath as new Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis's Minister.
- LK Advani, Nitin Gadkari,Uddhav Thackeray present at swearing in ceremony of Maharashtara Ministers at Wankhade.
- Prakash Mansukhbhai Mehta takes oath as Maharashtra Minister.
- Vinod Tawde takes oath as the Cabinet Minister.
- Sudhir Mungantiwar takes oath as cabinet minister of Maharashtra.
- Eknath Khadse takes oath as the Cabinet Minister.
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray reaches Wankhede stadium.
- Governor C Vidyasagar Rao administers oath of office to Fadnavis.
- Devendra Fadnavis takes oath as new Maharashtra Chief Minister.
- National anthem is being played by the police band.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief AmitShah arrive at the venue.
- Gujarat Chief Miniater Anandiben Patel arrives at the Wankhede Stadium.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will also attend the oath-taking ceremony of BJP's first Maharashtra CM.
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray has left Matoshree for the Wankhede Stadium.
- Also present are Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh, Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu and Goa CM Manohar Parrikar.
- The Wankhede Stadium is fast filling-up, and in atendance will be top filmstars, industrialists and sportspersons, apart from political leaders.
- After the swearing-in ceremony, Fadnavis will hold his first Cabinet meeting at 5:30 pm.
- The swearing-in ceremony of BJP CM-designate Devendra Fadnavis will begin shortly.
In a sudden turn of events, BJP president Amit Shah called up Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray on Friday afternoon and invited him for the swearing-in ceremony of chief minister-designate Devendra Fadnavis.
Fadnavis too called up Uddhav and asked him to attend his oath-taking ceremony, PTI reported.
And the Shiv Sena chief has obliged.
According to Shiv Sena MP Vinayak Raut, Uddhav will be going to Wankhede Stadium to attend the swearing-in of Fadnavis.
All Shiv Sena MLAs will also attend, Raut added.
The development came after Shiv Sena had on Thursday said that its leaders, including Uddhav, will boycott the ceremony because of "constant humiliation" despite talks being held with the BJP for a possible alliance.
"We have constantly been humiliated by the BJP, which has not gone down well with our MLAs. As our MLAs feel that BJP did not give us due respect, why should we attend the oath-taking ceremony?" Vinayak Raut had said yesterday.
The news of boycott had come after senior BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy's remarks that no Shiv Sena leader will be sworn in as minister on Friday.
"It seems unlikely that any Shiv Sena minister will be sworn in tomorrow. Talks with Shiv Sena are on in an amicable atmosphere for a possible tie-up in Maharashtra but there has been no outcome yet," the BJP general secretary had said, adding “this may not happen tomorrow".
If some reports are to be believed, one or two Shiv Sena leaders could also be sworn-in as ministers today, indicating a last-minute climbdown by the BJP.
44-year-old Fadnavis, a fourth-term MLA from Nagpur, will be administered the oath of office by Governor C Vidyasagar Rao at Wankhede Stadium in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, several of his Cabinet colleagues, chief ministers of BJP-ruled states, corporate leaders, Bollywood stars and other celebrities.
Apart from Fadnavis, seven ministers of Cabinet rank and two of Minister of State rank are also expected to take oath today.
Among the names doing the rounds for Cabinet ministers' post include BJP leaders Eknath Khadse, Sudhir Mungantiwar, Vinod Tawde, Pankaja Munde, Chandrakant Dada Patil, Prakash Mehta and Vishnu Sawra.
Dilip Kamble and Vidya Thakur could take oath as MoS.
Fadnavis will be Maharashtra's first BJP chief minister.
BJP had emerged as the single largest party in the 288-member state Assembly with 122 seats but one of its MLAs Govind Rathod died.
Though technically it will be a minority government until Shiv Sena joins it, declared support from 41-member NCP will act as a hedge for the BJP dispensation. It also has the support of several independent MLAs and those from some smaller parties.