Devyani Khobragade, Ashok Chavan among illegal Adarsh beneficiaries, says report
Nagpur: Maharashtra government has rejected the report of the judicial commission of inquiry on the Adarsh scam it tabled in the Legislative Assembly on Friday which indicted several politicians including three former Chief Ministers for "blatant violations" of statutory provisions.
The report of the 2-member commission headed by retired high court judge JA Patil came down heavily on those in authority describing the scam as a "bad precedent" which reflected "greed, nepotism and favouritism" by those associated with it.
The panel found 25 of the society`s 102 members ineligible and 22 cases of benami purchase of flats.
The report said Adarsh society enjoyed political patronage of former Chief Ministers, Vilasrao Deshmukh, Sushil Kumar Shinde and Ashok Chavan, former Revenue Minister Shivajirao Nlengekar Patil, former Minister for Urban Development Sunil Tatkare and former Minister of Urban Development Rajesh Tope.
Ashok Chavan was the only Chief Minister charge sheeted in the scam by the CBI but Governor K Sankaranarayanan had refused sanction to the investigative agency to prosecute him a few days ago.
The beneficiaries included politicians across the spectrum and their relatives.
Those found ineligible for ownership of flats included former Maharashtra Assembly speaker Babasaheb Kupekar of NCP, senior Indian diplomat in US Devyani Khobragade, former Shiv Sena MP Suresh Prabhu and three relatives of former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, who had to step down after the scam surfaced.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said the decision on rejection of the findings of the inquiry commission was taken by the Cabinet "in the interest of the people".
He, however, refused to elaborate on how the Cabinet`s decision was in larger public interest.
The much awaited report, which was submitted to the state government on April 18 this year was tabled in the House on the last day of the Winter Session today.
The interim report was submitted to the state government on April 13, 2012 and the Action Taken Report (ATR) was tabled on the floor of the House on April 17, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins