Devyani Khobragade to arrive in Mumbai today, RPI plans grand welcome
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Mumbai: Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade, whose arrest and indictment in the United States triggered a bitter diplomatic row between New Delhi and Washington, is due to arrive in Mumbai on Tuesday.
As per reports, Devyani`s family resides in Versova.
"She will be in Mumbai for at least a week," said her father Uttam Khobragade, who is reportedly in talks with political parties and likely to contest the next Lok Sabha polls.
Devyani also plans to visit the Ambedkar memorial at Chaityabhoomi in Dadar.
Devyani was granted diplomatic immunity and returned to India on the day a jury indicted her for visa fraud in the US.
She has not been given a posting so far. Her return home comes against the backdrop of the recent Adarsh report findings, which found her ineligible a flat in the infamous society. Experts have said she stands to lose both her membership and money invested in the apartment.
Meanwhile, the Republican Party of India (RPI) led by Ramdas Athawale has planned a grand welcome for Devyani. The RPI has strongly condemned the US action against Devyani.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future