Dey case: Witness statement proof against Rajan
Mumbai: Statement of a witness in the charge
sheet of the J Dey murder case is one of the "key" evidences
against journalist Jigna Vora who allegedly instigated
underworld don Chhota Rajan to order the killing of the
veteran reporter, a Crime Branch official said.
This statement mentioned in the 3,055-page charge sheet
is a "pivotal and key" testimonial evidence, which states that
Rajan had ordered the murder of Dey and that Vora instigated
the killing, the official said.
The witness, who is a kin of arrested accused Vinod
Asrani, had spoken to Rajan after the murder, when the latter
had told the former that he regretted killing Dey, the
"The witness told us that Rajan called him and stated
that he was regretting the murder of Dey and claimed that
Jigna had incited him. The witness` statement was recorded
under under Section 164 of the CrPC before a magistrate. His
statement is attached with the charge sheet," he said.
Nearly six months after the murder of Jyotirmoy Dey, the
city police yesterday filed the charge sheet against 12
accused, including fugitive gangster Chhota Rajan, in the
special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA)
The charge sheet did not name the recently arrested
accused Vora, Deputy Bureau Chief of `The Asian Age`. A
separate supplementary charge sheet, elaborating Vora`s role
in the crime, will be filed later, police said.
Dey, working with city-based tabloid Mid Day, was shot
dead in suburban Powai on June 11 by assailants, who followed
him on motorcycles at the behest of Rajan, who gave Rs 5 lakh
to the accused for the murder contract, police said.
Rajan had apparently ordered Dey`s killing as the latter
had written articles against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'