Dey murder case: 13 days JC for 10 accused
Mumbai: A special court on Friday remanded in
judicial custody for 13 days, the 10 accused, arrested in
connection with the murder of senior journalist Jyotirmoy Dey.
"The accused were produced before the Maharashtra Control
of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court, which remanded them in
judicial custody till September 30," a crime branch official
The police custody of Paulson Joseph, the 10th suspect
arrested on September 5 in the case, was over today following
which he, along with the nine others, whose judicial custody
had also ended, were produced in the court.
"Joseph was sent to judicial custody as his police
custody was not sought by us, whereas judicial custody of nine
others was extended," the official added.
Dey, editor (Investigations) with the city-based English
tabloid, Mid Day, was shot dead by four motorcycle-borne
assailants in suburban Powai on June 11, police said.
Police had claimed that the scribe was eliminated at the
behest of underworld don Chhota Rajan, who paid Rs five lakh
to the accused. However, investigators said the motive behind
the killing was not yet clear.
Other nine arrested accused include a builder Vinod
Asrani and sharp shooters, police said.
Joseph is the same person who had organised a Christmas-
eve bash at Chembur in 2009 that saw five policemen, including
a deputy police commissioner, suspended as the cops, were
caught on camera partying with the gangsters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narendra Modi govt celebrates 2nd anniversary; Amitabh Bachchan urges to educate, give equality to girl child
- Will step down if chair becomes impediment in father's vision for J&K: Mehbooba Mufti
- Nuke programme made Pakistan's defence impregnable: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army now confirms Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq Pandit held
- Kepler 62f: An exoplanet 1200 light years away may be habitable!