Disappointed over Rail Budget, Maha MPs meet Bansal
New Delhi: Cutting across party lines, MPs from Maharashtra today met Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal to convey their grave disappointment over the Rail Budget which handed over a "raw deal" to the state.
The meeting comes a day after NCP chief and Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar conveyed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh that the Railway Budget had "totally neglected" the problems faced by 80 lakh commuters in Mumbai and it is "not acceptable".
The MPs demanded that Bansal should meet Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Pawar and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to do "justice" to the state`s demands.
In a raucous meeting that lasted for 30-minutes, Bansal told the MPs that he had announced 19 new trains for the state, extension of six train services and increased the frequency of seven trains, which was the highest for any state.
The plan allocation for works in Maharashtra was pegged at Rs 1549 crore, an increase of Rs 520 crore over last year`s Rs 1029 crore, he said adding 72 new services have been announced for the Mumbai suburban sector.
Railway Board Chairman Vinay Mittal made a brief presentation on the projects to be undertaken in the state in the rail budget that was presented to Parliament yesterday.
Among those who attended the meeting included Samir Bhujbal, Supriya Sule, Sanjiv Naik, Sanjay Dina Patil, Y P Trivedi (all NCP), Gopinath Munde, Hansraj Ahir, Dilip Gandhi, Sanjay Dhotre (all BJP), Eknath Gaikwad, Marotrao Kowase, Datta Meghe (all Cong), Subhash Wankhede, Bhawana Gawli, Ganesh Dudhgaonkar, Bhausaheb Wakchaure, Anand Paranjpe (all Shiv Sena).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister