DMDK MLAs suspension: HC issues notice to Assembly secretary
Chennai: Six DMDK MLAs, who were suspended from the Tamil Nadu Assembly for six months, have appealed against a single judge order in the Madras High Court, seeking a direction to allow them to vote in the June 27 Rajya Sabha polls.
When the matter came up today, a Division Bench of Acting Chief Justice Rajesh Kumar Agrawal and Justice M Sathyanarayanan, ordered issue of notice to the Assembly secretary, returnable on June 24.
Justice S Rajeswaran had on June 5 dismissed the petition filed by DMDK members V C Chandhira Kumar, P Parthasarthi, T Murugesan, K Nallathambi, S Senthilkumar and R Arulselvam, challenging their suspension from the Assembly.
The members were suspended for a year by Speaker P Dhanapal after they allegedly assaulted Michael Rayappan, DMDK MLA from Radhapuram, during Assembly proceedings on Feb 8.
The petitioners contended that they were given voting rights in the Rajya Sabha polls, but the Speaker suspending them would not enable them to vote on June 27.
It was later reduced to six months.
The bench further adjourned the main prayer of revoking their suspension order to July 3.
The DMDK led by actor-turned-politician Vijayakant is the main opposition party in the state assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon