Doctor convicted of murdering wife let off by High Court
Mumbai: Granting benefit of doubt, the Bombay High Court has acquitted a Nashik-based doctor from the charge of killing his wife.
A bench headed by Justice P V Hardas last week set aside life imprisonment imposed on Sanjay Ahire by a lower court on the ground the victim had given two contradictory dying declarations.
The 35-year-old doctor, a resident of Deola taluka of the North Maharashtra district, was convicted in 2009 for setting his wife Pratiksha afire, resulting in her death, as he suspected her character. However, she gave two dying declarations to police.
In the first one, the deceased said she caught fire on account of sudden flaring of the stove. In the other, recorded at the instance of the victim`s father, she implicated her husband, saying he had set her ablaze.
The HC noted there were two dying declarations given by Pratiksha, and both of them were contradictory.
The Bench said "acceptance any one dying declaration would necessarily falsify the other. In the light of the contradictory dying declarations, in our opinion, the appellant would be entitled to be given the benefit of doubt."
"It would not be open for the court to pick and choose one dying declaration for basing a conviction of the accused," said the Judges.
"There is nothing on record to even remotely indicate that the dying declaration was not the truthful narration of Pratiksha or that Pratiksha was not in a fit condition to give her statement. Therefore, in our opinion, the appellant would be entitled to the benefit of doubt," they said.
"The possibility that the subsequent dying declaration was a result of tutoring of Pratiksha by her relatives cannot be ruled out. That background, therefore, impels us to allow the appeal and give benefit of doubt to the accused."
On October 14, 2009, Malegaon Sessions Court had convicted the doctor on charges of murdering his wife and subjecting her to domestic violence.
The prosecution had told the trial court that Hardas had killed Pratiksha as he suspected her of infidelity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM