Doctor gets 10 years for raping woman patient
Thane: A young doctor found guilty of raping a 30-year-old woman admitted to the ICU in a hospital at Navi Mumbai, was on Tuesday sentenced to 10 years imprisonment by a local court.
Thane Additional Sessions Judge R D Sawant handed out the punishment to Dr Vishal Vanne (26), who was also fined with Rs 1,000 along with another three-month imprisonment in the 2010 case.
Additional Public Prosecutor Sandhya Bacchav told the court that it was on October 16, 2010 the victim and her family including children, husband and a relative came to the Modern College grounds for Durga Pooja when she suffered uneasiness and was taken to the nearby Lotus Hospital in Vashi. That night she was admitted to the ICU as her condition worsened.
According to the complaint, the accused doctor was on night duty in the ward, where she was left alone with a staff nurse after a medical examination.
As the staff nurse was suffering from asthma, the accused asked her to leave the ICU and take rest. Thereafter the doctor allegedly gave an injection to the patient, making her drowsy.
The prosecution further told the court that after about two in the morning, the accused locked the door of the ICU from inside and molested the victim and also raped her repeatedly.
The victim, in her statement to the court said as she was not well that night, she could not shout or scream for help.
Next morning, when she narrated the incident to her husband, Vanne was handed over to the police.
The woman`s husband told the court that on two occasions in the night he wanted to enter the ICU to check on the condition of his wife but could not do so as the door was locked from inside and also curtains were drawn.
Also, another patient in the ICU was fast asleep in the room when the incident took place.
The staff nurse, in her deposition, said she entered the ICU next morning around 5.30 am after she was driven out the night before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened