Mumbai: Members of Maharashtra Association of Gazetted Medical Officers (MAGMO), who were on strike since July 1, today called off their stir after meeting Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
Chavan told reporters that most of the demands of MAGMO had been accepted earlier and the government is positive on some of the issues raised by them.
On demands which are deadlocked, a proposal would be brought in the Cabinet and efforts would be made to resolve them, he said.
MAGMO president Rajesh Gaikwad, who was on hunger strike for the last six days, said on the assurance of Chief Minister the organisation was withdrawing the agitation.
"We apologise to the people for the hardships caused for the last six days," he said and assured that the medical officers would work two hours extra daily for next few days.
Gaikwad broke his hunger strike with juice offered to him by the Chief Minister.
"We agreed to call off our strike after we were assured by the Chief Minister that all our demands would be accepted by the state in the next 2-3 months," MAGMO`s state coordinator Pramod Sonawane told PTI.
A "promotional channel" will be opened for BAMS doctors, where they will be regularly given promotions, he said.
"The state government is ready to open a promotional channel for BAMS A group doctors who hold the post of additional district health officers," he said.
The BAMS group B doctors, who are currently working on contractual basis, will be made permanent, Sonawane added.