Domestic Violence Act can be invoked against female relative
Mumbai: In a significant ruling, Bombay High Court has held that a woman can file a complaint of cruelty under the Domestic Violence Act against female family members too, and not just the male relatives.
"The DV Act is a beneficial legislation. It is meant for protection of violated women," said Justice Roshan Dalvi in her recent order.
Section 2(q) of DV Act does not specify a male relative, so female relatives cannot be exempted, the judge said. The section defines `respondent` against whom a complaint may be filed.
Proviso to Section 19 specifies that an order under 19(1)(b) alone cannot be passed against a woman, which implies that order under all other clauses can be passed against a woman, the High Court said. (Section 19 provides for the types of orders that can be passed for the protection of victim).
"The beneficial legislation is required to be interpreted to enhance justice to women and not to frustrate it," the judge said.
The High Court was hearing a petition filed by Chandrakant Wagh who had sought quashing of an order passed a magistrate at Kalyan.
His wife had filed an application before the magistrate under the Act, and also sought interim maintenance.
Wagh`s contention was that an application under DV Act cannot be made against any adult female person under Section 2(q).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?