Domestic Violence Act can be invoked against female relative
Mumbai: In a significant ruling, Bombay High Court has held that a woman can file a complaint of cruelty under the Domestic Violence Act against female family members too, and not just the male relatives.
"The DV Act is a beneficial legislation. It is meant for protection of violated women," said Justice Roshan Dalvi in her recent order.
Section 2(q) of DV Act does not specify a male relative, so female relatives cannot be exempted, the judge said. The section defines `respondent` against whom a complaint may be filed.
Proviso to Section 19 specifies that an order under 19(1)(b) alone cannot be passed against a woman, which implies that order under all other clauses can be passed against a woman, the High Court said. (Section 19 provides for the types of orders that can be passed for the protection of victim).
"The beneficial legislation is required to be interpreted to enhance justice to women and not to frustrate it," the judge said.
The High Court was hearing a petition filed by Chandrakant Wagh who had sought quashing of an order passed a magistrate at Kalyan.
His wife had filed an application before the magistrate under the Act, and also sought interim maintenance.
Wagh`s contention was that an application under DV Act cannot be made against any adult female person under Section 2(q).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!