Don`t categorise fishermen as ‘bulk consumers’: Kamat
Mumbai: Former Union Minister Gurudas Kamat has appealed to the Centre not to include fishermen in bulk consumer category and withdraw the hike of Rs 10 per litre in diesel fare.
In a letter to Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily on Saturday, Kamat demanded that fishermen be removed from the category of "bulk consumers" to enable them to get diesel for fishing trawlers at the normal hiked rate of additional 0.50 paise per litre for general consumers that was announced yesterday.
Kamat said that categorising fisherman as "bulk consumers" has given them a rude shock of an additional hike of Rs 10 per litre in diesel fares, which makes fishing business inviable and will lead to complete closure of business.
It would result in unemployment to thousands of fishermen all over the country, said Kamat, a Member of Parliament from Mumbai North West.
A delegation of fishing community met him late last night at a function in Versova, pleading their case, the former Mumbai Congress president said.
"I assured them that I would take up the issue with both Petroleum Minister Veerappa Moily and Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan at the AICC session in Jaipur today," Kamat said in a statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know