Don`t let politics come in way of development: Raj Thackeray
Mumbai: Targeting Shiv Sena on its opposition to Jaitapur nuclear power project in Ratnagiri district, MNS president Raj Thackeray on Friday asked the people of Konkan not to encourage petty politics obstructing the progress and development.
Addressing a rally at Khed town in the coastal district, Raj said, "If the project is bad, it should be thrown out. But do not derail a project if there is opposition for the sake of opposition. Attempts are being made to instill fear in you so that you oppose the project."
Local groups are opposed to Jaitapur Project, and Shiv Sena has sided with them.
Raj reminded the people that BJP leader Gopinath Munde had once declared that he would dump the Enron power project (also in the district) in the Arabian sea. "What happened... The project is still there, in Dabhol, with a higher tariff."
Ridiculing the Sena`s stand on Jaitapur, Raj said, "People are trying to scare you by saying that the project is bad because of danger of tsunami. (But) tsunami can come anywhere."
Tarapur nuclear power project and BARC are located within Mumbai, which have uranium and nuclear reactors, he pointed out, dismissing the fear that a Fukushima-like situation may arise at Jaitapur if there was a major earthquake.
Cautioning against land grabbing in Konkan, he advised people not to sell land for other than tourism projects. "Give away your land only if you are a partner in the business (coming up thereon)," he said.
Returning to his anti-migrant stand, he said non-Marathi-speakers were purchasing land from Marathi-speakers in Konkan, which was unfortunate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living