Don`t mention caste in school certificate, says Ambedkar
Mumbai: The mention of caste should be removed from school leaving certificates, Prakash Ambedkar, grandson of Babasaheb Ambedkar and Bharip Bahujan Mahasangh President, has said.
"I have my religious identity and I have my national identity. Only these two identities should be mentioned in the certificate," he said.
"There are many in the present system who do not insist on mentioning their caste. A way out should be found. It should be optional whether one wants to mention caste or not," he said.
"As of now, we can`t force people but this should be the goal--to abolish mention of the caste," Ambedkar said.
Ambedkar also said it is high time to get rid of reservation for SCs/STs in national electoral politics. "These reservations can continue in local bodies," he added.
Reacting to Ambedkar`s remarks, RPI leader Ramdas Athawale told reporters here today that the suggestion to remove mention of caste from school record was "ridiculous".
Athawale also described Ambedkar`s demand to end political reservation as "anti-Dalit".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location