Dr TP Lahane gets anticipatory bail in Atrocity Act case
Mumbai: The sessions court here today granted anticipatory bail to Dr T P Lahane, the Dean of the government-run J J Hospital, who is accused of making a casteist remark against a sweeper employed with the hospital.
"The court granted anticipatory bail to Dr T P Lahane on a bond of Rs 15,000," his advocate Swapna Kode said.
Dr Lahane, a noted ophthalmologist and a Padma Shri awardee, is facing a criminal complaint under the SC/ST Atrocities (Prevention) Act after Narayan Waghela, a sweeper, accused him of hurling a casteist abuse last month.
Lahane denied the allegations and moved the court for pre-arrest bail.
According to the complaint filed by Waghela on February 14, Lahane got into argument with him when the former asked another sweeper to stop working as all the temporary Class IV employees were on strike.
Lahane had earlier approached the Bombay High Court seeking anticipatory bail, and also quashing of the case.
The High Court, however, directed him to approach the sessions court first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report