Dr TP Lahane gets anticipatory bail in Atrocity Act case
Mumbai: The sessions court here today granted anticipatory bail to Dr T P Lahane, the Dean of the government-run J J Hospital, who is accused of making a casteist remark against a sweeper employed with the hospital.
"The court granted anticipatory bail to Dr T P Lahane on a bond of Rs 15,000," his advocate Swapna Kode said.
Dr Lahane, a noted ophthalmologist and a Padma Shri awardee, is facing a criminal complaint under the SC/ST Atrocities (Prevention) Act after Narayan Waghela, a sweeper, accused him of hurling a casteist abuse last month.
Lahane denied the allegations and moved the court for pre-arrest bail.
According to the complaint filed by Waghela on February 14, Lahane got into argument with him when the former asked another sweeper to stop working as all the temporary Class IV employees were on strike.
Lahane had earlier approached the Bombay High Court seeking anticipatory bail, and also quashing of the case.
The High Court, however, directed him to approach the sessions court first.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?
- Forest fires rage in Uttarakhand; three NDRF teams deployed
- Raids at Andhra Pradesh transport official's premises reveal assets worth Rs 800 crores
- VIDEO: Have you ever seen this side of Rohit Sharma's personality? We bet not!
- Unbelievable offer! Samsung selling smartphones for Rs 1