Draft Lokpal Bill is weak: Patkar
Aurangabad: Terming the draft Lokpal Bill as
"weak", social activist Medha Patkar on Friday called for
concerted efforts to eradicate corruption from India.
Addressing a press conference here, Patkar said, "The
machinery is not sufficient to curb corruption and the Lokpal
draft made recently is weak. We don`t trust in the Lokpal
being made by the bureaucracy."
She further said that laws like Lokpal should be in
favour of the common man and all should be treated equal
before the law. "There should be people`s Parliament in the
nation," she said.
Replying to a question on the proposed Jaitapur nuclear
plant project, Patkar said she is against it.
She further said that before undertaking development
projects, consent of the local people should be the priority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'