Drive against drunken driving pays dividends to Nagpur police
Nagpur: The drive against drunken driving
paid rich dividends to police department with a recovery of Rs
5 crore as penalty from erring drivers.
Nagpur police under the supervision of Additional
Director General of Police and Commissioner of Police, Praveen
Dixit had launched a drive to check the menace.
During the drive launched between January and December
2009, the police department recovered Rs 5 crore from erring
drivers, including Rs two crore recovered as fine during a
five-month period from January to May 2010, police sources
On an average about 2000 odd cases of drunken driving are
detected every month and around Rs 40 lakh are recovered as
penalty, sources said.
The record shows that there was a significant drop in
cases of drunken driving in October 2009 and to some extent in
preceding September 2009. The exact reason of this drop in
cases could not be known but being a month of Dussera and
Diwali, there might be fasting and religious activities which
ght have brought down the ratio, they said.
Police recover a fine of Rs 3000 in each case from the
offender as per the directions of local court and settle the
case on the spot, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic),
Sahebrao Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report