Drive against illegal hoardings should sustain: Bombay HC
Mumbai: Calling for the municipal corporations` drive against illegal hoardings to be sustained, the Bombay High Court on Friday said awareness needs to be created among political leaders.
The high court had on March 13 directed the municipal corporations of Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Mira Bhayandar and Thane to remove all illegal hoardings, posters and banners within 24 hours.
The corporations today informed a division bench of Justices AM Khanwilkar and AP Bhangale that it had removed almost all the illegal hoardings till last night and the remaining ones would be removed within a couple of days.
"We appreciate the efforts taken by the corporations. We hope this drive is sustained; all remedial action is taken, every single hoarding is removed and future mushrooming of illegal hoardings is prevented. It is finally a loss to the state exchequer," Justice Khanwilkar said.
Observing that awareness needs to be created, the court said, "Responsibility does not lie with the corporation alone, but also on the local police and local political leaders. The municipal commissioners should consider calling a meeting of all political leaders and counsel them."
The court was informed that in Mumbai 5,065 illegal hoardings were removed and in Mira Bhayandar 1,204 hoardings were removed till last night.
The court also suggested the corporations to constitute a nodal agency comprising NGOs and members of the civil society to help the civic body in tackling the problem.
The matter has now been posted for further compliance on April 25.
The court had taken suo moto congnisance of the matter after perusing a compliance report submitted by the chief of Satara Municipal Corporation indicating that they had removed all unauthorised hoardings in Satara within a week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery