Dropped Maharashtra minister named state NCP chief
Mumbai: NCP leader Bhaskar Jadhav who was dropped from the Maharashtra ministry earlier this week was on Saturday named the president of the party`s state unit.
He succeeds Madhukar Pichad who was among the six ministers inducted in the ministry on Tuesday.
The party also announced that Jitendra Awhad, legislator from adjoining Thane will be the new working president of its state unit.
The announcements were made at a meeting of the party in presence of NCP chief Sharad Pawar.
The appointment of the new state NCP chief assumes significance as the party gears for the 2014 Lok Sabha and Maharashtra Assembly elections.
NCP dropped six of its 20 ministers in recent reshuffle exercise. The NCP is in coalition with the Congress in the state.
Last week, Pawar, in a surprise move, asked all the 20 ministers of his party to submit their resignations.
"There was a feeling that if new faces aren`t brought in, the party`s young leadership will soon be demoralised and will start feeling restive," a party leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof