Drought situation in Jalna to worsen after March e
Jalna (Mah): With Jalna district in Marathwada region of Maharashtra already reeling under severe drought, a senior government official has said the situation would worsen after March-end.
"The situation would amplify after March-end and the challenge before the government would be to provide water and jobs to the labourers under the MGNREGA scheme," Jalna District Collector Shyam Deshpande said.
"Jalna has eight talukas, 49 circles and 970 villages. However, the rainfall received this year was only 25 per cent. Due to deficient rains both Kharif and Rabi crops have been destroyed," Deshpande said.
Formed on May 1, 1982, Jalna district is the premier commercial centre of the Marathwada region.
Major crops grown in the district like jowar, maize, cotton, wheat, soyabean and sweet lime have been destroyed completely, he said.
"Rain water has not percolated in last 20 years here. Rain water harvesting will have to be done in the next five years to help resolve the issue," Deshpande said.
"A large-scale drive will have to be undertaken to make the labourers register under the MGNREGA scheme. They cannot register themselves with the old job cards. So far, 74 per cent work of job card has been completed," he said.
Around 1,108 works have been approved by the government and 14,943 labourers would benefit from it, he added.
On the three major lakes of Jalna which have dried up, he said cleaning work of Ghanewadi, Moti and Mukteshwar lakes would be undertaken on March 11 and 12.
"Around 80 JCB machines and 400 tractors would be pressed into service to clean the lakes, which are sufficient to provide water to the people of Jalna city," he said.
Deshpande also said that during the visit of a central team here tomorrow, he would assert that the focus of the state government should be to provide financial assistance for the cleaning of the three lakes, medicines for cattle and to make water available for the animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!