Drought situation looming large over Vidarbha
Nagpur: The entire Vidarbha region in Maharashtra is facing a drought-like situation following huge water scarcity due to drying of lakes and wells in most of the villages due to intense heat wave conditions.
Approximately 4,300 villages are facing the grim situation as village wells and water bodies are drying up fast, prompting the administration to supply water through tankers for human consumption and live stock.
According to sources, around 331 villages in Amravati, 800 in Yavatmal, 300 in Gadchiroli and 120 in Wardha district of the region in Eastern Maharashtra are severely affected.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar have demanded assistance from the Prime Minister and the Centre has agreed to release Rs 700 crore initially, official sources said.
In Nagpur, Rs 13.99 crores have been spent on tackling the water supply scheme in 354 villages, they said.
A number of villages including Narsala, Hudkeshwar, Bahadura, Besa, Kharbi, Hingana, Khapa, Beltarodi and Gondhni are virtually dry and dependent on water supply through tankers.
According to an NGO, the drought situation is not new to the region since it occurs almost every or alternate year.
Some drastic initiatives including proper water management and alternatives like desalinaton of sea water and its usage needs to be taken, they said.
Also, processed sea water can be used for non-drinking facilities including irrigation and other domestic use, the NGO suggested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends