Drunk driver rams car into tree in Mumbai, 1 killed, 6 injured
Mumbai: A teenaged girl was killed and two of her friends were seriously injured when their speeding car, driven by an allegedly drunk techie, overturned after hitting a tree and a divider before ramming into a parked auto at suburban Juhu on late Friday.
One of the six occupants of the car, Shivani Rawat (18), died at Nanavati hospital, said Madhukar Choudhary, senior inspector at Santacruz police station.
Rahul Mitra (23), a software engineer who was driving the four-wheeler allegedly under the influence of alcohol, was arrested and booked under sections 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way) and 304 (punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC and relevant sections of the Motor Vehicle Act, they said.
According to police, at around 2am, a speeding Hyundai Getz, in which the six teenagers, including three girls, were travelling hit a tree near SNDT College in Juhu. The vehicle then rammed into a divider before hitting a parked auto rickshaw in which the driver was sleeping.
The occupants in the car were identified as Rawat, Priyanka Rai (19) Nimisha Mane (19) Amit Gupta (23) Krishna Tewar (23) while Mitra was at the wheels, police said.
They were going for a dinner after spending time in a pub, police said.
The car had turned turtle after hitting the divider, police said, adding the two girls were also seriously injured.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India