Drunk driver rams car into tree in Mumbai, 1 killed, 6 injured
Mumbai: A teenaged girl was killed and two of her friends were seriously injured when their speeding car, driven by an allegedly drunk techie, overturned after hitting a tree and a divider before ramming into a parked auto at suburban Juhu on late Friday.
One of the six occupants of the car, Shivani Rawat (18), died at Nanavati hospital, said Madhukar Choudhary, senior inspector at Santacruz police station.
Rahul Mitra (23), a software engineer who was driving the four-wheeler allegedly under the influence of alcohol, was arrested and booked under sections 279 (rash driving or riding on a public way) and 304 (punishment for culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC and relevant sections of the Motor Vehicle Act, they said.
According to police, at around 2am, a speeding Hyundai Getz, in which the six teenagers, including three girls, were travelling hit a tree near SNDT College in Juhu. The vehicle then rammed into a divider before hitting a parked auto rickshaw in which the driver was sleeping.
The occupants in the car were identified as Rawat, Priyanka Rai (19) Nimisha Mane (19) Amit Gupta (23) Krishna Tewar (23) while Mitra was at the wheels, police said.
They were going for a dinner after spending time in a pub, police said.
The car had turned turtle after hitting the divider, police said, adding the two girls were also seriously injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list