Drunk driver rams police jeep; 2 killed
Mumbai: Two people, including a sub-inspector, were killed and four policemen were injured when a 27-year-old drunk woman driver rammed into their vehicles early Saturday, police said.
The accident occurred just before 1 am when Nooriya Yusuf Ahluwalia was speeding along the Marine Lines, an officer of the LT Marg police station said.
There, she apparently lost control of her Honda CRV and rammed into a stationary traffic police Qualis and two other vehicles - a moving motorcycle and a taxi.
Motorcyclist Afzal Mukhmojiya, 35, was rushed to the nearby Saifee Hospital but was pronounced dead on arrival.
Five of the injured policemen, of whom one succumbed to his injuries - ironically, were conducting a drive against drunken driving.
The injured in the gruesome accident are being treated at the Bombay Hospital and the Gokuldas Tejpal Hospital.
The dead sub-inspector was identified as Dinanath Shinde. The condition of two of the injured, Shailendra Jadhav and Arjun Gaekwad, is critical. They are under observation in the intensive care unit, police said. They have sustained multiple fractures and other serious injuries.
Two other policemen, Lala Shinde and Ashok Shinde, were discharged after treatment at Bombay Hospital.
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil and Mumbai Police Commissioner D. Shivanandhan visited the policemen being treated at the Bombay Hospital. However, the duo did not speak to the mediapersons present there.
Nooriya, who lives in the upscale Colaba area of south Mumbai, was reportedly speeding at over 150 kmph when the accident occurred.
She has been arrested and charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC elections results 2017: BJP to gain big amid neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena, reveals latest poll survey
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!