Drunk driving case: Trial of US national begins
Mumbai: The trial in the drunken driving case involving Indian-origin US national Nooriya Haveliwala commenced Wednesday in a special court, where four policemen
identified her as the woman driving the vehicle that killed two persons and injured four others in 2010.
The 29-year-old beautician, who was also under the
influence of drugs, is accused of ramming her SUV (Honda CRV)
into six persons, killing two of them - Police Sub-Inspector
Dinanath Shinde (46) and biker Afzal Ibrahim (35).
The accident took place in south Mumbai on the
intervening night of January 29-30, 2010 when police were
conducting a drive against drunken driving.
Haveliwala was arrested and booked under Section 304
(culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of IPC, Motor
Vehicles Act and Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances
Act (NDPS). She was later released on bail.
Charges were framed against her in the Special NDPS
Court in December last year. Haveliwala, dressed in a blue and
green salwar kurta, attended the court proceedings today.
"Four witnesses identified Haveliwala in the court as the
one who was driving the vehicle involved in the accident,"
public prosecutor Kiran Raika said.
The medical officers, who treated the injured, and the
doctors, who conducted the postmortem of the two bodies,
would be examined during the next date of hearing fixed on
March 21, Raika said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter