During 72 days sans power, Ajit Pawar paid "rent" to Maha govt
Mumbai: Had Ajit Pawar`s return to Maharashtra cabinet been extended by a few weeks, he would have ended paying more "rent" to the state government than he did, during the 72 days he was away from power, an RTI query has revealed.
After announcing his resignation as deputy chief minister on September 25, Ajit Pawar continued to stay in his official residence Devgiri at Malabar Hill and paid Rs 5 per sq ft as "rent" to the government, till he rejoined the cabinet on December 7, RTI activist Anil Galgali said.
Galgali, chairman of the Athak Seva Sangh, obtained the information through a query under the RTI Act.
According to a government circular in 2006, a minister can stay free in the official residence till 15 days after his resignation, Galgali said.
If he continues to stay there till three months, beyond these 15 days, he has to pay a rent of Rs 5 sq feet to the government, he said. If he stays beyond three months, he is charged Rs 15 per sq feet, Galgali added.
"Pawar had resigned on moral grounds after allegations of massive irregularities in irrigation projects in Vidarbha during his stint as state water resources minister, but he never showed same morality by giving up his official bungalow," Galgali said.
Pawar stayed in Devgiri from September 30 to Oct 14, 2012 free of cost, Galgali said.
After that period Pawar was enjoying this sprawling premises at a rate of Rs 5 per sq feet, he said. This rent includes furniture, gas, water, telephone and electricity bill, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?