Dwellers of pre-1995 slums eligibile for rehab
Mumbai: In a relief to lakhs of slum-
dwellers residing in structures prior to 1995, the Maharashtra
Government decided to make the current residents
eligible for rehabilitation under the Slum Rehabilitation
Authority (SRA) schemes.
Talking to reporters after the weekly cabinet meeting,
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said 33 (10) of the
Development Control (DC) rules would be amended, for which,
suggestions and objections have been invited.
After this, hurdles in the rehabilitation of Dharavi
slum, airport re-development projects would be removed, Chavan
expressed a hope.
The Chief Minister said that even though slums, up to
January 1, 1995, have been regularised, the original
inhabitants had moved out and transferred their slums to
"This was creating problems to expedite implementation
of several development projects, because original slumdwellers
in their pre-1995 houses were only up to 35 per cent,"he said.
The government will formulate terms and conditions on
how the current resident of the slum could prove with a
documentary evidence that he had purchased the house from a
slum dweller living before 1995.
Similarly, the protected structure can be transferred
in the current owner`s name, so that, he can avail the
benefits of the SRA scheme.
Thirty-five per cent of the state`s population lives
in slums, Chavan said adding that even though a city`s
infrastructure is overburdened, there has been a constant
demand for rehabilitation of slum dwellers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it