Dwellers of pre-1995 slums eligibile for rehab
Mumbai: In a relief to lakhs of slum-
dwellers residing in structures prior to 1995, the Maharashtra
Government decided to make the current residents
eligible for rehabilitation under the Slum Rehabilitation
Authority (SRA) schemes.
Talking to reporters after the weekly cabinet meeting,
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said 33 (10) of the
Development Control (DC) rules would be amended, for which,
suggestions and objections have been invited.
After this, hurdles in the rehabilitation of Dharavi
slum, airport re-development projects would be removed, Chavan
expressed a hope.
The Chief Minister said that even though slums, up to
January 1, 1995, have been regularised, the original
inhabitants had moved out and transferred their slums to
"This was creating problems to expedite implementation
of several development projects, because original slumdwellers
in their pre-1995 houses were only up to 35 per cent,"he said.
The government will formulate terms and conditions on
how the current resident of the slum could prove with a
documentary evidence that he had purchased the house from a
slum dweller living before 1995.
Similarly, the protected structure can be transferred
in the current owner`s name, so that, he can avail the
benefits of the SRA scheme.
Thirty-five per cent of the state`s population lives
in slums, Chavan said adding that even though a city`s
infrastructure is overburdened, there has been a constant
demand for rehabilitation of slum dwellers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach