EC denied permission, but ministers would visit Beed: CM
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Thursday said Health Minister Suresh Shetty and Women and Child Welfare Minister Varsha Gaikwad were not allowed by the Election Commission to visit Beed district, where many cases of female foeticide have come to light recently.
Addressing a press conference, Chavan said the model code of conduct was in force due to the Assembly by-election at Kaij in the district, so the Commission had barred ministers` visits.
"I do not know if the request (for permission) to visit the district has been formally denied. If it is so, it is unacceptable and unfortunate and should be reviewed," Chavan said, adding that the two Ministers would go ahead with the visits nonetheless.
"The government has taken the female foeticide in Beed very seriously. Due to the announcement of reward of Rs five lakh for information regarding such cases, a rickshaw driver came forward to give vital information due to which several arrests have been made," Chavan said.
He said tackling the foeticide issue was an important government work, and the ministers would not indulge in any political activity while on the visit.
The Chief Minister also said the Indian Medical Council and Sonography machine manufacturers were meeting him tomorrow with regard to the foeticide issue.
To the question on why police were not being able to trace Dr Sudam and Saraswati Munde, the absconding doctor couple from Parli in the district who are accused of carrying out illegal abortions, when they were evidently available to sign their bail applications, Chavan said efforts were on to nab them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi