Mumbai: Maharashtra government has handed over documents pertaining to the alleged multi-crore scam in state-run Annabhau Sathe Development Corporation to Enforcement Directorate and questioned the role of NCP leader Ajit Pawar in this connection.
Minister of State for Social Justice Dilip Kamble said documents were handed over to the ED, which is examining the case, last Tuesday and that the government was "doubtful" over Pawar's decision to allocate Rs 300 crore to the Sathe Corporation three months before Assembly polls last year.
However, former Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar said there have been no discrepancies and that the "truth will be out for all to see" once the investigation is completed.
NCP leader Ramesh Kadam, former chairman of the Corporation, along with three other accused including his then personnel assistant, his sister and one of his office staff are in judicial custody in connection with the alleged scam.
The state government has handed over the probe in the scam to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Kamble claimed that the scam runs into about Rs 1,000 crore, out of which Rs 500 crore belongs to Sathe Mahamandal (Corporation) and the remaining has been received as grants from the Centre.
"We have handed over the documents to ED as we have to find out the cash flow, transactions with various accounts, purchase of 40 luxury cars and the distribution of cash in Assembly constituencies where NCP had contested the polls last year," the minister said.
"Kadam had used the funds to live a lavish life, distributed luxury cars to presidents of various organisations working for Matang community so that nobody would raise their voice against him," he alleged.
Kadam "withdrew Rs 22 crore cash from a nationalised bank on a single day and the CID has got the evidence of the transaction," Kamble claimed, adding that the agency was probing it.