EGoM to discuss drought relief for Maharashtra on Wednesday
New Delhi: An Empowered Group of Ministers on Drought, headed by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, is scheduled to meet on Wednesday to decide on relief measures for Maharashtra, which is facing severe fodder and water scarcity.
"The EGoM meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning. The Maharashtra drought issue will be discussed," sources said.
The drought has worsened in the state due to failure of monsoon for the second consecutive year. A central team, which assess the drought situation in the state, has prepared a status report and the same will be discussed in the meeting, sources said.
The EGoM will also consider Maharashtra government`s proposal for financial assistance of Rs 2,200 crore to tackle the situation, sources added.
Of the total 34 districts in Maharashtra, the worst- affected are Solapur, Ahmednagar, Sangli, Pune, Satara, Beed and Nashik. The situation is also serious in Buldhana, Latur, Osmanabad, Nanded, Aurangabad, Jalna, Jalgaon and Dhule districts, an official said.
Some districts in the state are facing acute shortage of fodder and drinking water problem. Drinking water is being supplied through tankers in most affected villages.
The EGoM is authorised to review the situation and take "quick and timely decisions" on policy and other matters for effective management of drought and related issues.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh, Food Minister KV Thomas and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia are among the members of the EGoM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered