EGoM to discuss drought relief for Maharashtra on Wednesday
New Delhi: An Empowered Group of Ministers on Drought, headed by Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, is scheduled to meet on Wednesday to decide on relief measures for Maharashtra, which is facing severe fodder and water scarcity.
"The EGoM meeting is scheduled for tomorrow morning. The Maharashtra drought issue will be discussed," sources said.
The drought has worsened in the state due to failure of monsoon for the second consecutive year. A central team, which assess the drought situation in the state, has prepared a status report and the same will be discussed in the meeting, sources said.
The EGoM will also consider Maharashtra government`s proposal for financial assistance of Rs 2,200 crore to tackle the situation, sources added.
Of the total 34 districts in Maharashtra, the worst- affected are Solapur, Ahmednagar, Sangli, Pune, Satara, Beed and Nashik. The situation is also serious in Buldhana, Latur, Osmanabad, Nanded, Aurangabad, Jalna, Jalgaon and Dhule districts, an official said.
Some districts in the state are facing acute shortage of fodder and drinking water problem. Drinking water is being supplied through tankers in most affected villages.
The EGoM is authorised to review the situation and take "quick and timely decisions" on policy and other matters for effective management of drought and related issues.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh, Food Minister KV Thomas and Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia are among the members of the EGoM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan