Eight accused in Sohrabuddin case appear in Mumbai court
Mumbai: Out of the 19 accused in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, eight including former Gujarat Minister Amit Shah on Friday appeared before a magistrate`s court here.
The trial of the case has been shifted by the Supreme Court from Gujarat to here. The local court, three days ago, had issued summons to all the accused.
After the court today marked the presence of the eight accused, CBI filed an application seeking fresh production warrants against remaining 11, including former IPS officers D G Vanjara, Rajkumar Pandian and Abhay Chudasma, who are lodged in Ahmedabad`s Sabarmati jail.
They were to be brought here today, but jail authorities could not arrange the travel in time.
Additional Metropolitan Magistrate A A Khan directed the eight accused including Shah, who are on bail, to furnish fresh bail bonds.
Khan also sought clarification on the status of three accused - A K Parmar, Santram Sharma and V K Rathod, as CBI had said in the charge sheet that their names were being removed from the list of accused. CBI lawyer said the agency will seek their discharge at the next hearing (November 23).
Sheikh, an alleged gangster, and his wife Kauser Bi were allegedly abducted by Gujarat`s Anti-Terrorism Squad from Hyderabad and killed in fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005. Tulsiram Prajapati, a witness of the encounter, was also allegedly killed by police in December 2006.
According to CBI, Shah, former Minister of State for Home in Narendra Modi government, was the "kingpin" of conspiracy.
The Supreme Court on September 27 ordered transfer of case to Maharashtra as CBI stated that witnesses were being intimidated and a free and fair trial was not possible in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say