Elderly woman killed over land dispute; six held
Thane: An elderly woman was allegedly killed by a group of villagers over a land dispute near Ambernath in the district, rural police said on Wednesday.
Six of the accused have been detained so far in this connection, a police official said.
A group of about 7-8 men came to the house of Hirabai Parshuram Rane (57), with whom they had a dispute over land, in Vasad-Jambul village last evening and attacked her with sticks and iron rods and fled from there, Kalyan taluka`s assistant police inspector VR Andhale said.
The woman died on the spot, he said.
Later, police launched a search for the culprits and detained six of them during the night, he said.
Offences have been registered under sections 302 (murder), 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting) and 149 of the IPC against the accused, police said, adding they are searching for the others involved in the offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next