Elderly woman killed over land dispute; six held
Thane: An elderly woman was allegedly killed by a group of villagers over a land dispute near Ambernath in the district, rural police said on Wednesday.
Six of the accused have been detained so far in this connection, a police official said.
A group of about 7-8 men came to the house of Hirabai Parshuram Rane (57), with whom they had a dispute over land, in Vasad-Jambul village last evening and attacked her with sticks and iron rods and fled from there, Kalyan taluka`s assistant police inspector VR Andhale said.
The woman died on the spot, he said.
Later, police launched a search for the culprits and detained six of them during the night, he said.
Offences have been registered under sections 302 (murder), 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting) and 149 of the IPC against the accused, police said, adding they are searching for the others involved in the offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- India has a very big infrastructure programme: Arun Jaitley
- Germany's Merkel calls for sober EU divorce talks with 'partner' Britain
- Sanjay Bangar, Abhay Sharma named as support staff to Indian cricket coach Anil Kumble
- Russia, regime strikes kill 47 in east Syria: Monitor
- Tamil Nadu Congress chief Elangovan quits