Elderly woman killed over land dispute; six held
Thane: An elderly woman was allegedly killed by a group of villagers over a land dispute near Ambernath in the district, rural police said on Wednesday.
Six of the accused have been detained so far in this connection, a police official said.
A group of about 7-8 men came to the house of Hirabai Parshuram Rane (57), with whom they had a dispute over land, in Vasad-Jambul village last evening and attacked her with sticks and iron rods and fled from there, Kalyan taluka`s assistant police inspector VR Andhale said.
The woman died on the spot, he said.
Later, police launched a search for the culprits and detained six of them during the night, he said.
Offences have been registered under sections 302 (murder), 143 (unlawful assembly), 147 (rioting) and 149 of the IPC against the accused, police said, adding they are searching for the others involved in the offence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port