Eleven kids fall ill after consuming polio drops in Maharashtra
Aurangabad: At least 11 children were taken ill and hospitalised after being administered polio drops at Waghola village in this district.
The children, aged between one to five years, were
administered the oral polio dose by health workers at
Phulambri tehsil of the district yesterday.
Around 130 children were given the vaccine all through
the day. Barely 24 hours after consuming it, four children
started vomiting and developed fever. Parents then admitted
them to the Government Medical College Hospital (GMCH) here.
As the word spread, parents of a total of 66 wards,
who were vaccinated, admitted them to hospital. However, only
11 children needed medical attention, according to doctors.
Dr S L Deshmukh of Pediatrics Department at GMCH today
said the condition of 11 children, admitted after complaints
of vomiting and fever, was stable.
Doctors at GMCH suspect that the polio doses were
either outdated or might not have been stored properly
resulting in reactions and sickness.
GMCH Dean Dr Shashank Dalvi said, "It is necessary to
check the polio dose. The samples will have to be sent for
checking before saying anything. Though they are stored in
chilled boxes, some thing might have gone wrong. There is no
need for parents to panic, as all the children are out of
In 2008, four children died and four others fell
critically ill after they were administered measles dose in
the same village.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India