Eleven kids fall ill after consuming polio drops in Maharashtra
Aurangabad: At least 11 children were taken ill and hospitalised after being administered polio drops at Waghola village in this district.
The children, aged between one to five years, were
administered the oral polio dose by health workers at
Phulambri tehsil of the district yesterday.
Around 130 children were given the vaccine all through
the day. Barely 24 hours after consuming it, four children
started vomiting and developed fever. Parents then admitted
them to the Government Medical College Hospital (GMCH) here.
As the word spread, parents of a total of 66 wards,
who were vaccinated, admitted them to hospital. However, only
11 children needed medical attention, according to doctors.
Dr S L Deshmukh of Pediatrics Department at GMCH today
said the condition of 11 children, admitted after complaints
of vomiting and fever, was stable.
Doctors at GMCH suspect that the polio doses were
either outdated or might not have been stored properly
resulting in reactions and sickness.
GMCH Dean Dr Shashank Dalvi said, "It is necessary to
check the polio dose. The samples will have to be sent for
checking before saying anything. Though they are stored in
chilled boxes, some thing might have gone wrong. There is no
need for parents to panic, as all the children are out of
In 2008, four children died and four others fell
critically ill after they were administered measles dose in
the same village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH