Eleven killed in Maharashtra road mishap
Pune: At least eleven people, including a woman and a child, were killed and three seriously injured after a jeep in which they were travelling, collided with a container truck on the Pune-Satara-Bangalore Road last night.
Both vehicles were heading towards Pune from Satara when the accident occurred.
The injured have been admitted to a hospital in Shirval.
An eyewitness, Om Prakash Jaiswal said that the trailer got disbalanced and fell on the car moving on its side.
"A trailer and a car were moving side by side on the road. The trailer got unbalanced and toppled over the car. The car was crushed and the people inside the car died on the spot. There were 11 passengers including 10 men and one woman," said Jaiswal.
Road accidents are common in India, where roads are often of poor quality.
Transport officials attribute a large number of accidents in India to reckless driving and untrained drivers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional