Eleven killed in Maharashtra road mishap
Pune: At least eleven people, including a woman and a child, were killed and three seriously injured after a jeep in which they were travelling, collided with a container truck on the Pune-Satara-Bangalore Road last night.
Both vehicles were heading towards Pune from Satara when the accident occurred.
The injured have been admitted to a hospital in Shirval.
An eyewitness, Om Prakash Jaiswal said that the trailer got disbalanced and fell on the car moving on its side.
"A trailer and a car were moving side by side on the road. The trailer got unbalanced and toppled over the car. The car was crushed and the people inside the car died on the spot. There were 11 passengers including 10 men and one woman," said Jaiswal.
Road accidents are common in India, where roads are often of poor quality.
Transport officials attribute a large number of accidents in India to reckless driving and untrained drivers.
- Rupee has appreciated in real terms since 2014
- Vijay Mallya's resignation from Rajya Sabha rejected; panel recommends expulsion
- Call drops: Telecom companies under heavy debt, SC told
- This is why government unable to ink Rafale fighter jet deal!
- Parliament panel set to recommend Vijay Mallya's expulsion from Rajya Sabha