Entry of heavy vehicles banned on NH-17 during Ganpati
Mumbai: Considering the heavy traffic on the Mumbai-Goa highway (NH-17) ahead of Ganeshotsav, Panvel RTO has prohibited the entry of heavy vehicles for 14 days starting from September 6. This will substantially ease traffic movement on the highway.
“A large a number of devotees from Kalyan, Dombivli, Thane and Mumbai areas go to Konkan and Goa through private and public transport vehicles. Because of this, number of vehicles increase, and hence there is a need to regulate the traffic,” said a RTO official.
The entry of vehicles above 16 tonnes will be completely closed from September 6 to September 19 on NH 17. However, low weight vehicles will be allowed on the stretch from 8pm to 8am between September 10 and September 19.
Keeping public interest in mind, RTO has invoked section 115 of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, to prohibit movement of all heavy vehicles of 16 tonnes or more on NH-17. During the fifth-day immersion, on the night of September 13 and morning of September 14, all vehicular movements will be shut between 8am and 8pm.
“We have advised vehicles owners to drive on the express highway during this period. This will help us manage traffic better during Ganeshotsav,” said the official. Carrying sand will be completely prohibited during the festival.
However, there will be no diversion of vehicles carrying necessary articles like milk, petrol, diesel, cooking gas, medicine among others.
DNA/ Amit Srivastava
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?