Errant Mumbai taxi, auto drivers get 10 days ultimatum
Mumbai: Responding to repeated complaints
from passengers about errant taxi and auto drivers,
Maharashtra Government has given an ultimatum of ten days to
them to fall in line.
"Make the taxi and auto drivers aware about the
complaints against them by the passengers. They should also
follow the rules like holding badges and licences and wearing
uniforms within the stipulated time of 10 days," Home Minister
R R Patil today said.
The drivers should also not refuse to ferry passengers on
short distance else stern action would be taken against them,
Patil said in a meeting convened by him to discuss the
The officials from traffic police, regional transport
authority, representatives of the taxi and auto unions and
consumer right activists were present in the meeting.
Transport commissioner Dilip Jadhav informed in the
meeting said that 2,800 complaints have been registered on
department`s newly launched helpline. Most of them were about
the refusal for plying on short distance, he said.
Patil asked the transport and traffic officials to launch
a drive against the arrogant taxi and auto drivers if the
complaints are not reduced in ten days.
The minister also suggested increase of share taxi or
auto facility during the peak hours to save time and fuel. He
instructed to start 80 new taxi and auto stands in the city
outside the railway stations and at the crowded places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh