Errant Mumbai taxi, auto drivers get 10 days ultimatum
Mumbai: Responding to repeated complaints
from passengers about errant taxi and auto drivers,
Maharashtra Government has given an ultimatum of ten days to
them to fall in line.
"Make the taxi and auto drivers aware about the
complaints against them by the passengers. They should also
follow the rules like holding badges and licences and wearing
uniforms within the stipulated time of 10 days," Home Minister
R R Patil today said.
The drivers should also not refuse to ferry passengers on
short distance else stern action would be taken against them,
Patil said in a meeting convened by him to discuss the
The officials from traffic police, regional transport
authority, representatives of the taxi and auto unions and
consumer right activists were present in the meeting.
Transport commissioner Dilip Jadhav informed in the
meeting said that 2,800 complaints have been registered on
department`s newly launched helpline. Most of them were about
the refusal for plying on short distance, he said.
Patil asked the transport and traffic officials to launch
a drive against the arrogant taxi and auto drivers if the
complaints are not reduced in ten days.
The minister also suggested increase of share taxi or
auto facility during the peak hours to save time and fuel. He
instructed to start 80 new taxi and auto stands in the city
outside the railway stations and at the crowded places.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents