Even Ambedkar was for separate Vidarbha, says grandson
Nagpur: The statehood demand for Vidarbha is
very old and even Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar was in favour of
creating such smaller states, his grandson said on Tuesday.
"The great Dalit leader had made a strong plea for
smaller states in the country and submitted a detailed
memorandum to the Fazal Ali Commission in 1955 on the issue
of smaller states including Republican Vidarbha," Prakash Ambedkar
who also heads Bhartiya Party Bahujan Samaj (BRPBS)
He said Babsaheb had appeared for the hearings of the
first State Reorganisation Commission headed by Fazal Ali way
back in 1955 in Delhi to convince the Commission (on the
issue), which later recommended creation of Vidarbha state.
"Babasaheb died shortly after the historic Dhamma Chakra
Pravartan Day here. Had he been alive for some more years, he
could have certainly pursued the issue with Central leadership
on the statehood issue," Prakash said.
Babasaheb in his memorandum had contended that smaller
states would bring in more responsibility and prosperity.
The former MP, who is leading the separate Vidarbha
movement here, is presently collecting data and statistics to
justify the economic viability of new state of Vidarbha.
Ambedkar said Muttemwar and Phadanvis will lead the
mass contact tour programme. Samiti has sought meeting with
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia
Gandhi over separate Vidarbha demand. "We are still awaiting a
positive response," Muttemwar, who wrote letters to both of
Pro-Vidarbha leaders reiterated their commitment of
peaceful agitation throughout their programme. Purohit and
others have already toured Akola and other places as part of
preparations for second phase of agitation, he informed.
The Vidarbha bandh, called by all political parties in
the region, barring Shiv Sena, met with a huge success,
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case