Even CM, ministers shun Maharashtra Sadan for substandardness: Somaiya
Mumbai: BJP MP Kirit Somaiya, who is the Chairman of the House Committee, which decides on allocation of residential premises to newly elected MPs, on Saturday said the facilities at New Maharashtra Sadan in New Delhi are so sub-standard that even Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan does not live there when he is in the national capital.
Talking to reporters, Somaiya said Chavan still occupies the official bungalow which was alloted to him as a Union Minister.
"Senior ministers like Narayan Rane, Chhagan Bhujbal have not spent a day at the premises during their visits here. All the six Congress-NCP ministers including former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan prefer to stay in seven star hotels paying from their own pockets," he said.
Somaiya said the new premises is not worth living because of lack of basic amenities like water supply.
"In the entire complex, there is leakage, poor air conditioner, fans. Despite the incomplete work, possession was taken over from the contractor and inauguration was done at the hands of the President of India last year," he said.
Somaiya said the force-feeding incident at the New Maharashtra Sadan was "regrettable".
"Chief Minister has announced an enquiry into the entire incident and we want him to incorporate the poor facilities at the complex into the probe," he added.
"The Governor`s suite in the Sadan is in dire straits and air conditioner fans don`t work in the other four suites," he said.
He said the PAC had reported Rs 6,500 crore irregularities in the construction of the New Maharashtra Sadan and asked for action to be taken against the concerned persons. "However, the state government has not done anything," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan