Even CM, ministers shun Maharashtra Sadan for substandardness: Somaiya
Mumbai: BJP MP Kirit Somaiya, who is the Chairman of the House Committee, which decides on allocation of residential premises to newly elected MPs, on Saturday said the facilities at New Maharashtra Sadan in New Delhi are so sub-standard that even Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan does not live there when he is in the national capital.
Talking to reporters, Somaiya said Chavan still occupies the official bungalow which was alloted to him as a Union Minister.
"Senior ministers like Narayan Rane, Chhagan Bhujbal have not spent a day at the premises during their visits here. All the six Congress-NCP ministers including former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan prefer to stay in seven star hotels paying from their own pockets," he said.
Somaiya said the new premises is not worth living because of lack of basic amenities like water supply.
"In the entire complex, there is leakage, poor air conditioner, fans. Despite the incomplete work, possession was taken over from the contractor and inauguration was done at the hands of the President of India last year," he said.
Somaiya said the force-feeding incident at the New Maharashtra Sadan was "regrettable".
"Chief Minister has announced an enquiry into the entire incident and we want him to incorporate the poor facilities at the complex into the probe," he added.
"The Governor`s suite in the Sadan is in dire straits and air conditioner fans don`t work in the other four suites," he said.
He said the PAC had reported Rs 6,500 crore irregularities in the construction of the New Maharashtra Sadan and asked for action to be taken against the concerned persons. "However, the state government has not done anything," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in