Even Narendra Modi would have lost on Congress ticket, says Sanjay Nirupam
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
Mumbai: Congress leader Sanjay Nirupam on Saturday stirred a hornet`s nest by linking the murder of a techie in Pune with the onset of campaigning for the Maharashtra Assembly Elections.
Nirupam accused the BJP of “fanning communal hatred” in the state through its “pocket organisations”.
Reflecting on the Congress` disastrous show in the Lok Sabha polls, Nirupam said that there were many reasons due to which people were not happy with the party.
"Such was the environment that even if (Narendra) Modi ji were a Congress candidate, he would have lost," said Nirupam whilst looking back at the election results.
Subtly hinting at a conspiracy angle to the murder, Nirupam told a news channel that the lynching of the Muslim youth was orchestrated at rousing communal tension in the state in purview of the impending Assembly polls.
Nirupam suggested that the manner in which selective details from the investigation report sent by the Maharashtra government to the Centre were leaked by the Ministry of Home Affairs also hinted at a bigger conspiracy.
“It is a leaked report. We cannot say with authority what is written in the report as we have not seen it. Instead of leaking reports, the central government should act,” he said.
Nirupam said that Congress in Maharashtra is concerned that “some sort of communal hatred is being fanned by BJP through its pocket organisations.”
“Assembly elections are going to take place in the state this year and the incident (of killing of techie) has happened in Pune. In the same manner, BJP had fanned communal tension in Uttar Pradesh before the Lok Sabha polls after some incidents in Muzaffarnagar.
“This is BJP’s style of functioning. Wherever they have to fight elections, such communal sentiments are fanned. We apprehend that BJP or its supporters fomented trouble in Muzaffarnagar, they are going to orchestrate same thing here,”
The Congress leader was referring to the murder of 27-year old techie, Mohsin Sadiq Shaikh, who was lynched by a mob after certain derogatory Facebook posts surfaced last week.
Shaikh, hailing from Solapur, was attacked with hockey sticks and rods near Hadapsar and beaten to death. The killing was ostensibly provoked by the derogatory Facebook posts - which he had nothing to do with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation