Ex-Deputy Collector from Nagpur found dead at CST
Mumbai/Nagpur: A retired Deputy Collector,
who was probing irregularities in Nagpur Municipal
Corporation, was found dead at the CST here today, police
The deceased, identified as 73-year-old, Prabhakar Darbe,
was missing for last three days after he had come to Mumbai
and had gone to Mantralaya in connection with the inquiry.
The next day, a missing-person complaint was registered
in MRA marg police station in south Mumbai.
Darbe, who was sitting in the main waiting room of the
Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) went to drink water and
collapsed while drinking it, police said.
No luggage was found with him, police said.
Darbe was immediately rushed to St George`s Hospital
where he was declared dead.
Some medicines were found with him and initial probe
indicated that he died due to illness, police said.
Family members have alleged foul play in the incident and
demanded enquiry into the matter, they added.
Deputy Police Commissioner, Kaiser Khalid, said Dabre was
appointed by NMC to look into the irregularities in the
recruitments in the civic body.
"Dabre had come to Mumbai on January 21 to meet a senior
official in Mantralaya in connection with the inquiry. We
found a Mantralaya entry pass dated January 22 in his pocket,"
However, he did not contact anyone since January 22. The
next day, a missing-person complaint was registered in MRA
Marg police station in south Mumbai, the DCP added.
Post-mortem was conducted in the hospital, he said
adding the reason for the death was reserved.
"We have registered an accidental death case. An inquiry
in the matter is on although our preliminary probe indicated
no foul play," Khalid said.
According to sources, the Nagpur Municipal Commissioner,
Aseem Gupta, and other officials from the Corporation had also
come to Mumbai on January 22 to meet a senior official in
Mantralaya regarding the same case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note