Ex-MPCC chief Deshukh demands Dy CM post for Vidarbha region
Nagpur: Former Maharashtra Pradesh Congress
Committee (MPCC) president Ranjeet Deshmukh has urged
newly-elected Chief Minister Ashok Chavan to give the post of
deputy chief minister to an MLA from Vidarbha region.
Congress` coalition partner NCP has already announced
Chagan Bhujbal`s name for the post.
A former Agriculture Minister Deshmukh, while
complimenting Chavan for success of Congress in recent
Assembly elections, said all developmental backlog issues of
Vidarbha region like pending irrigation works, roads,
agriculture, textile and healthcare can be entrusted to the
deputy chief minister.
He should also be allocated the important task of
handling the agrarian crisis, he added.
Deshmukh said this time, the Congress has performed much
better by bagging 24 more seats in the region compared with
2004 when party got 21 seats in Vidharbha.
The region has always been Congress` `citadel` since the
days of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing