Ex-MPCC chief Deshukh demands Dy CM post for Vidarbha region
Nagpur: Former Maharashtra Pradesh Congress
Committee (MPCC) president Ranjeet Deshmukh has urged
newly-elected Chief Minister Ashok Chavan to give the post of
deputy chief minister to an MLA from Vidarbha region.
Congress` coalition partner NCP has already announced
Chagan Bhujbal`s name for the post.
A former Agriculture Minister Deshmukh, while
complimenting Chavan for success of Congress in recent
Assembly elections, said all developmental backlog issues of
Vidarbha region like pending irrigation works, roads,
agriculture, textile and healthcare can be entrusted to the
deputy chief minister.
He should also be allocated the important task of
handling the agrarian crisis, he added.
Deshmukh said this time, the Congress has performed much
better by bagging 24 more seats in the region compared with
2004 when party got 21 seats in Vidharbha.
The region has always been Congress` `citadel` since the
days of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes