Ex-Mum police commissioner Hasan Gafoor dead
Mumbai: Hasan Gafoor, the Mumbai police commissioner during the 26/11 terror attack on this financial capital, died here Monday after suffering a massive heart attack. He was 62.
Gafoor was rushed to the Breach Candy Hospital in south Mumbai after the heart attack Monday afternoon, but was declared dead on arrival by the hospital officials.
Gafoor is survived by his wife and daughter. His funeral will take place Tuesday.
Gafoor, an IPS officer of the 1974 batch, was the second Muslim officer to serve as Mumbai`s police after Syed Majeedullah, who was was in office 1962-1965.
He retired from service on Dec 31, 2010 as Maharashtra`s police chief. He also headed the Anti-Corruption Bureau and the Housing & Welfare Corporation.
An engineering graduate from the University of Mumbai, Gafoor was instrumental in implementing many technical upgrades in Maharashtra Police.
Said to have had a jolly desposition, Gafoor`s father, the late Khwaja Abdul Gafoor was an Urdu scholar and retired from the post of additional chief secretary of the Maharashtra government.
Expressing grief over Gafoor`s death, Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan described him as an upright officer known for his integrity.
"Gafoor was an upright police officer known for his integrity and commitment. He was Commissioner of Mumbai Police during the worst-ever terrorist attacks on Mumbai in November 2008 and led the police operations to tackle the situation from the front. In his demise, the state has lost a brilliant and brave officer and a fine gentleman," Sankaranarayanan said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed