Expedite probe against Raj Thackeray: Court tells police
New Delhi: A court here on Thursday directed the Delhi Police to expedite its investigation in the FIR lodged against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray for allegedly branding Bihar natives in Mumbai as infiltrators.
"Investigating Officer is directed to expedite the investigation," Metropolitan Magistrate Pawan Singh Rajawat said.
The order was passed after the police filed a report on the status of the probe in the FIR and said it has issued notices to chief editors of various newspapers and news channels seeking certified copies of news reports of Thackeray`s speech in which he had allegedly branded Bihar natives as infiltrators in Mumbai and threatened to throw them out of the state.
The police said it has also sought details of the camera persons and reporters who had reported the matter in their newspapers and news channels and the reply to the same is awaited.
In September last year, Thackeray was booked under section 153 A (promoting enmity between different groups on ground of place of birth etc), 153 B (making imputations prejudicial to the national interest) and 505 (making statements conducing to public mischief) of the Indian Penal Code.
The FIR was lodged on court`s order on a complaint filed by advocate Prem Shankar Sharma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video