Expert aid sought to prevent further gas leaks at Mumbai port
New Delhi: After nearly 60 persons were
hospitalised following leakage of chlorine gas from a cylinder
at the Mumbai Port Trust early Wednesday morning, the government
has sought the help of experts to prevent any further incident
of the kind.
Of the 59 affected persons, seven were admitted to
intensive care units (ICUs) of the Port Trust Hospital, JJ
Hospital and KEM Hospital. Three were said to be in a critical
"We have sought experts dealing with hazardous gases from
Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd and Century Rayon to prevent any
further leakage of the gas," Rakesh Shrivastava, Joint
Secretary, Port, Ministry of Shipping, told agency.
The Shipping Ministry has also sought a detailed report
from the Mumbai Port Trust on the leakage of chlorine gas from
one of the cylinders at Hay Bandar area of the Port Trust
around 3.30 am.
The Ministry is closely watching the situation,
Shrivastava said, adding that seven of the 59 affected persons
were in the ICU while three were in a critical condition.
According to an official statement, the cylinders
were being kept in the Hay Bandar area, allocated for storage
of hazardous goods over the past few years. The gas had
affected nearly 59 persons in the nearby Lal Bahadur Shastri
Nautical Institute and a police station in the Siwri area, it
All the 59 affected persons were evacuated and admitted
to hospitals, the statement said.
"No death has been reported as per discussions with the
deputy chairman of the Mumbai Port Trust," it said, adding,
"As per the records of the Mumbai Port Trust, these cylinders
were empty. The Mumbai Port Trust is checking its records to
find out if any action had been taken for the disposal of
hazardous material in the past."
The situation is currently under control and the
chairman, deputy chairman, traffic manager as well as other
senior officials of the Mumbai Port Trust are at the site,
where relief and rescue works are being undertaken, the
"The Ministry of Shipping is closely monitoring the
situation," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today