Extension of Sanjay Dutt`s parole as per norms: Prithviraj Chavan
Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan on Wednesday defended extension of parole of actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in the 1993 Bombay serial blasts case, saying the action was taken as per law and no rules were violated.
"Decisions are taken as per law, without violating any provisions. Decisions are taken at the appropriate level. There is nothing political in it, no rules were violated," the chief minister said.
The parole to Dutt, 53, convicted under Arms Act for illegal possession of weapons, part of a cache to be used during the terror attack, was yesterday extended by another month by Pune district authorities to enable him to attend to his ailing wife Manyata, who recently underwent a surgical procedure.
He was supposed to return to Yerawada jail on February 21 to serve the remainder of his five year sentence.
The Bollywood actor was granted a month-long parole on December 6 last year, which was extended by another 30 days last month on account of his wife`s illness. Before that, he was on a month-long leave of furlough on medical grounds.
Dutt`s release on parole in December had sparked protests outside Yerawada jail, forcing the government to order an inquiry.
His prolonged stay out of prison has triggered a controversy with a PIL being filed yesterday in the Bombay High Court challenging extension of his parole. The PIL accusing the superintendent of Yerawada jail and Pune Divisional Commissioner of abusing their powers has been posted for hearing on February 25.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know