Facebook row: Case against Palghar girls closed
Thane: A Palghar court has closed the case against the two girls, who were arrested for posting a comment on Facebook on the bandh after the death of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray on November 17 last year.
The Palghar sessions court yesterday accepted the police closure report seeking dropping of charges against the two girls.
The Boisar police had filed a `C` summary report in December to close the criminal case on the grounds that it was `neither true nor false`.
However, complainant Shiv Sena member Bhushan Sankhe`s counsel yesterday said they will challenge the order and file a criminal revision appeal before the Palghar sessions court.
The girls - Shaheen Dhada and Rinu Srinivasan, both 21 years of age, were arrested on November 19 last year after a complaint was filed against them by Sankhe, a member of Palghar unit of Shiv Sena.
Sankhe had taken offence at Dhada`s post on social networking site Facebook regarding the shutdown following Bal Thackeray`s death. Srinivasan had `liked` the comment on Facebook.
The girls` subsequent arrest had sparked a nationwide outrage which embarrassed the Maharashtra government.
Following the uproar, two police officers were suspended in connection with the incident while the magistrate at Palghar, who ordered bail for the girls, was transferred.
Later, the police had concluded that there was no evidence against the girls.
Sankhe had contended the police report and asked the court to issue summons against the two girls but judicial magistrate accepted the police summary report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official