Facebook row: Case against Palghar girls closed
Thane: A Palghar court has closed the case against the two girls, who were arrested for posting a comment on Facebook on the bandh after the death of Shiv Sena supremo Bal Thackeray on November 17 last year.
The Palghar sessions court yesterday accepted the police closure report seeking dropping of charges against the two girls.
The Boisar police had filed a `C` summary report in December to close the criminal case on the grounds that it was `neither true nor false`.
However, complainant Shiv Sena member Bhushan Sankhe`s counsel yesterday said they will challenge the order and file a criminal revision appeal before the Palghar sessions court.
The girls - Shaheen Dhada and Rinu Srinivasan, both 21 years of age, were arrested on November 19 last year after a complaint was filed against them by Sankhe, a member of Palghar unit of Shiv Sena.
Sankhe had taken offence at Dhada`s post on social networking site Facebook regarding the shutdown following Bal Thackeray`s death. Srinivasan had `liked` the comment on Facebook.
The girls` subsequent arrest had sparked a nationwide outrage which embarrassed the Maharashtra government.
Following the uproar, two police officers were suspended in connection with the incident while the magistrate at Palghar, who ordered bail for the girls, was transferred.
Later, the police had concluded that there was no evidence against the girls.
Sankhe had contended the police report and asked the court to issue summons against the two girls but judicial magistrate accepted the police summary report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says